May, White House deny reports Trump’s UK visit delayed

British Prime Minister Theresa May’s office says there has been no change to plans for US President Donald Trump’s to come to Britain on a state visit, after the Guardian newspaper reported the trip had been postponed.

长沙夜网

The paper, citing an unidentified adviser at May’s Downing Street office who was in the room at the time, reported Trump had told May by telephone in recent weeks that he did not want to come if there were likely to be large-scale protests.

“We aren’t going to comment on speculation about the contents of private phone conversations,” a spokeswoman for May’s office said. “The queen extended an invitation to President Trump to visit the UK and there is no change to those plans.”

Related reading

The White House also denied the Guardian report, with an administration official telling Reuters, “The subject never came up on the call.”

No date has been set for the visit, which was agreed during May’s visit to Washington in January, but British media had reported it was planned for October.

May’s hold on power has been significantly weakened since the results of a snap election last week cost her Conservative Party a parliamentary majority. In a bid to save her position, May has been trying to form a government with Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party, a small faction of social conservatives.

British politics is going through an upheaval just a week before talks begin on Britain’s exit from the European Union, set for 2019.

Trump’s public criticism this month of London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s response to an attack by Islamist militants in London was condemned in Britain. May found herself forced to defend Khan, who is from the opposition Labour party.

At that time, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said there was no reason to cancel the visit, while White House spokesman Sean Spicer said that Trump intended to go and that “he appreciates Her Majesty’s gracious invitation”.

May forms government

0:00 Share

Related reading

Embattled May unveils Britain’s new cabinet

May made Damian Green, former work and pensions secretary, her deputy by naming him first secretary of state.

长沙夜网

Treasury chief secretary David Gauke moves in to take Green’s place, while the leader of the House of Commons, David Lidington, becomes justice secretary.

Lidington’s move sees him replace Liz Truss, who has faced criticism in the justice role and has been moved by May to Gauke’s former post as treasury chief secretary. 

WATCH: Ministers arrive for Cabinet reshuffle

0:00 Share

The minor reshuffle has been seen as a reflection of May’s weak position after she called a snap election, only to lose seats in Thursday’s vote in a dramatic change of fortunes. 

In announcing the remainder of her cabinet on Sunday, May kept Jeremy Hunt on as health secretary despite him being vilified for his handling of the treasured National Health Service. 

Liam Fox stays on as international trade secretary, a post created in the wake of Britain’s decision last year to leave the European Union as the country searches for new partners outside of the bloc.

Former Finance Minister says May is a ‘dead woman walking’

0:00 Share

Downing Street announced on Friday that there would be no reshuffle among the government’s top ministers, including Finance Minister Philip Hammond despite reports ahead of the election that he may be sacked.

Boris Johnson stays on as foreign minister, alongside fellow eurosceptic David Davis as Brexit minister.

May’s replacement last year as interior minister, Amber Rudd, keeps her post, as does Defence Minister Michael Fallon.

RELATED READING

‘I’m not going to be deterred’: London attack survivor Candice Hedge speaks out

The Queensland woman stabbed in the neck by one of the London Bridge attackers says she won’t be deterred by the cowardly terrorists.

长沙夜网

Candice Hedge was working at Elliot’s Cafe in Borough Market on Saturday, when suddenly people started rushing into the restaurant screaming.

Within minutes Ms Hedge saw the attackers approaching and one stood right beside her before he slashed her neck, she has told Seven’s Sunday Night program.

The 34-year-old is recovering in a London hospital and says it’s “amazing” she survived after she was told the knife went within millimetres of an artery and her vocal chord.

But, she says she determined to not let the attack keep her from her dreams, insisting she will stay in London with her boyfriend Luke and continue working at Elliot’s Cafe.

“I’m not going to be deterred, I have more to do here,” she said.

“People are cowards … I’m not going to let them change my life – well they have but I’m going to turn it to my advantage if I can.”

RELATED READING

Recounting the moments after she was attacked, Ms Hedge said she went to find Luke, who was also working at the restaurant, while clutching her bleeding neck with a cloth.

It was when she started vomiting blood that she thought she might not make it.

“I was thinking, I don’t want to die,” she said.

Since the attack, she’s been reunited with her father, Ross, and sister, Amber, who flew to London as soon as they heard she was injured.

The June 3 terror attack where three men launched a van and knife rampage on London Bridge killed eight people including two Australians, Kirsty Boden and Sara Zelenak.

Watch: London attackers tried to hire bigger truck

0:00 Share

Ex-US Attorney Bharara tells of ‘unusual’ calls he received from Trump

Speaking on ABC News’ “This Week” in his first televised interview since Trump fired him in March as the top federal prosecutor in Manhattan, Bharara said he believed Trump’s calls to him violated the usual boundaries between the executive branch and independent criminal investigators.

长沙夜网

“It’s a very weird and peculiar thing for a one-on-one conversation without the attorney general, without warning between the president and me or any United States attorney who has been asked to investigate various things and is in a position hypothetically to investigate business interests and associates of the president,” Bharara said.

He added that during President Barack Obama’s tenure, Obama never called him directly.

Related reading

Bharara’s comments came just a few days after former Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey testified at a congressional panel that Trump had asked him to drop an investigation into former Trump aide Michael Flynn and his alleged ties to Russia.

Comey also said he believed he was subsequently fired in an effort to undermine the investigation into possible collusion between Trump’s campaign and Russia to influence the 2016 presidential election.

Trump has denied allegations of collusion between his campaign and Russia and said he never directed Comey to drop the Flynn probe.

A White House spokeswoman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Bharara said on Sunday that Trump called him twice after the November election “ostensibly just to shoot the breeze.”

“It was a little bit uncomfortable, but he was not the president. He was only the president-elect,” Bharara said.

The third call, however, came two days after Trump’s inauguration. That time, he said, he refused to call back.

“The call came in. I got a message. We deliberated over it, thought it was inappropriate to return the call. And 22 hours later I was asked to resign along with 45 other people,” he said.

Bharara stopped short of saying whether he thought Trump had obstructed justice in his conversations and subsequent firing of Comey.

However, he said he thought there was “absolutely evidence to begin a case” into the matter.

Trump claims Comey lied in testimony

0:00 Share

Related reading

Fog slowly lifts over Sydney

Thick fog has wreaked havoc on the plans of thousands of travellers into and out of Sydney Airport, with dozens of flights cancelled, diverted or delayed.

长沙夜网

The heavy shroud had lifted by 9am on Monday, but not before one international flight was diverted to Brisbane and about 10 incoming and departing domestic flights were cancelled.

Jetstar, Eastern Australia Airlines and Sunstate Airlines all cancelled several flights around 8am.

More than 40 flights on the domestic arrivals board were delayed, while a handful of Qantas, Tigerair and Virgin Australia domestic departures were also left in limbo.

Some incoming flights from Abu Dhabi, Denpasar, Toronto, Los Angeles and Seoul did not arrive on time, however, international departures were largely unaffected.

Sydney Airport remains operational, but travellers are advised to check flight details with their airline.

A Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) spokesman says residents in Sydney’s west, near Richmond and Camden, should be able to see clearly by midday.

A Transport Management Centre spokesman told ABC Radio it was still “exceptionally foggy” around Sydney at 8.30am and traffic was building up around the airport as people return home from the long weekend.

“But when we’ve got a foggy morning, it’s usually an indicator that we’re going to have a great day,” he said.

“The sun will shine, the sky will be blue; it’ll be fabulous.”

The weather bureau has forecast mostly sunny conditions for Monday, with Sydney temperatures hitting 20 degrees with light winds and a slight chance of a shower in the afternoon and evening.